There's a lot to think about when you're moving home, but breaking everything down into manageable chunks – and spreading the work over the course of several weeks – can make all the difference.
Timing is everything: doing some things too early (like packing up your cookware) or too late (like discovering half a ton of rubbish in the loft) can make things more complicated than they need to be.
Two months to move day
At this point, you've probably had your offer accepted and you'll be busy arranging a mortgage and conveyancing. Getting a completion date agreed, even a provisional one, will help give you a timeframe to work to.
- Book a day or two off work before, during and after the expected move date
- Start de-cluttering – is there anything you can throw out?
- If you have valuables covered by your home insurance, check if they'll be covered during the move
- Inform your landlord of your move (if renting)
Six weeks to move day
It may still feel so far away, but the move will come around sooner than you think! While this stage is still mostly about paperwork, you can start making preparations to move and packing away anything non-essential.
- Get quotes from removals companies
- Decide what fixtures and fittings you're leaving behind and write them down - don't forget about these or your buyer won't be happy!
- Continue de-cluttering – use charity shops to get rid of unwanted books, DVDs, ornaments etc
- Order cardboard boxes and packing materials
3-4 weeks to move day
- Book a removals company
- Start boxing up anything you won't need in the next couple of weeks – winter/summer clothing, spare plates and cutlery, bedding, ornaments etc
- If putting items into storage, arrange this now
- Clear out the loft, shed, garage etc
- Order any new furnishings you need – things like sofas are normally made to order and need 3-4 weeks' notice
- Let your utilities company and home insurer know about your move date
- Book hotel accommodation if needed during the move
- Arrange transportation for pets and childcare if needed
2 weeks to move day
The big day's approaching! Now's the time to start really packing – you can still leave your essentials out, but the more you can get done now, the better.
Confirm all dates with your removals company and start letting everyone who needs to know about your move.
- Dismantle non-essential furniture and pack away
- Start using up food from your freezer and cupboards – the less you need to take the better
- Pack away as much as you can into boxes, labelled by room
- Let your bank, credit card provider, local authority, TV license authorities etc. know about your move date – see a full list of who to inform here
- Register for council tax at your new address
- Arrange for professional disconnection of kitchen appliances
1 week to move day
With just a week to go, your packing should be nearly done and all your paperwork in order. Now it's time to really focus on getting everything packed
– if you don't need it right now, box it or bin it.
- Pack away important documents (passports, house deeds, insurance documentation etc.) somewhere safe and easy to find
- Dismantle and pack as much furniture as possible
- Dismantle sheds/greenhouses if not leaving behind
- Defrost the freezer
- Wash, dry and pack all remaining clothing
- Redirect your post to your new address
- Start cleaning rooms
- Drain fuel from lawnmower/motorbikes
- Cancel local deliveries like newspapers
One day before move day
- Make an essentials box – tea, coffee, milk, snacks, tools and cleaning equipment. Label it clearly and take it separately
- Prepare plants for transit
- Disconnect any light fittings you're taking with you
- Check your fixtures and fittings list again – are you leaving behind everything you said you would?
- Do final cleaning
- Double-check everything's packed up and ready to go
On moving day
- Strip bedding
- Take down curtains
- Check all windows and doors are locked and secure
- Take final meter readings for water, electrics and gas (take a photo with your phone)
- Leave keys with your estate agent and collect your new keys
- Guide the removals company to put boxes in the appropriate rooms
- Move in and enjoy your new home!
You can download a copy of this moving house checklist here!
We are always happy to answer any questions about removals, just contact us on 0800 051 7699 if you’d like to talk to us about moving house in any of the following areas:
|Removals Brentford||Removals Slough|
|Removals Chiswick||Removals Uxbridge|
|Removals Isleworth||Removals St John's Wood Village|
|Removals Kings Heath Birmingham||Removals Swiss Cottage|
Click now to find out more about our removals service.