Work with us
Duty Manager, Birmingham
Please see the Job Description, Responsibilities and Primary terms below. If you are interested in this role, please send your CV with a covering letter to Sarah at email@example.com.
- Job Title
- Duty Manager
- Responsible to
- Store Manager
Lone working and key holding responsibility
- Kings Heath and Solihull
- Job Purpose
To be familiar with all aspects of the Store Manager’s job and be ready to assume that role in their absence. Assist the Store Manager to develop and sustain effective management activities that maximise sales & profit targets within the store, provide optimum customer service and ensure compliance of all company and legislative procedures and policies.
- Protecting our Staff is our Priority
To ensure staff safety we provide PPE (facemasks, gloves and sanitiser), the reception area is limited to one customer, the desk is protected by a plastic screen and transactions are paperless. We have limited the number of staff on site each day, so some working from home will be required. All necessary equipment (including a laptop and headset) is provided.
In this entry level management role, we are looking for an accomplished sales person, who has had some supervisory experience, and is ready to step up to the next level of management. We are looking for a goal orientated manager with a proven sales track record. The ideal candidate likes variety (working hours, days and location will vary), has excellent communication skills and can provide exceptional customer service. The role requires someone who is organised, self-motivated and can manage their own and other’s time effectively. A good level of numeracy is also necessary in this role.
Shifts will vary week to week, with a mixture of working on-site and from home. When working on site, staff are required to complete the daily cleaning/maintenance programme. This will include some light lifting, forklifting for customers (training will be provided) and light maintenance. When working from home the focus is on sales and administration; staff must have a suitable working space and broadband connection.
Storage experience is not necessary, but people management experience at some level is essential. Experience in achieving KPI’s is also a benefit in this role. The key aspects of the role are converting sales, maintaining site standards, people management and administration. The biggest challenge is taking responsibility in the Store Manager’s absence. Candidates who are always looking for new and better ways of doing things are welcomed in this role.
As a long-established, family-owned company, in the last 37 years our business has grown from strength to strength. Founded by Alastair Caldwell in 1983, we now have 10 sites across London, Berkshire and Birmingham. We pride ourselves on our core values and always strive to be Friendly, Helpful, Reliable, Trustworthy and Professional in all our interactions, with each other and with our customers. Delivering standards of excellence is our vision at Space Station, and we look after our staff, so they can deliver the best possible experience to our customers.
- Sell storage space and ensure the customer has all relevant information to make an informed decision, by explaining the features and benefits and price solutions.
- Achieve sales targets by maximising all sales opportunities. This will include responding and following up on customer enquiries, overcoming objections, upselling our retail products and closing sales.
- Maintain a high level of customer service by sustaining a service culture where the customer is the priority and Space Station’s values are maintained.
- Resolve customer complaints, address customer concerns and explain company or store policies.
- Responsible for the day-to-day supervision of employees.
- Motivate staff to give their best results, praising them when things go well and appraising them of improvements where necessary.
Assume responsibility in Store Manager’s Absence
- Assist the Store Manager with the development and growth of every aspect of the store. This includes ensuring all revenue and growth targets are achieved and effective control of all costs within reasonable jurisdiction.
- Take full responsibility for the site during the manager’s absence.
- Bring a sense of urgency to situations, demonstrate an active approach, be willing to get involved in order to increase the pace and achieve goals and objectives.
- Complete reports that would be submitted to the manager upon his/her return.
Maintenance and Administration
- Maintain a safe and healthy environment for both staff and customers, and work to a high specification in order to improve and maintain quality.
- Maintain and clean the whole site ensuring excellent standards are kept. Tasks include: twice daily cleaning programme (when assigned to the warehouse), forklifting (site dependent) and some light maintenance.
- Maintain effective administration of the store so that company systems, policies and procedures are adhered to at all times.
- Assist with the creation and implementation of effective marketing plans, monitoring and reviewing results at regular intervals. Create brand awareness, by promoting the store in the local community. This may include liaising with local shops and businesses, networking and organising local events. All employees are encouraged to present their marketing ideas.
- As part of our Corporate Social Responsibility commitment, all Space Station employees are required to spend 1% of their working time (around 2 hours per month) volunteering/raising funds for chosen/local charities. This time is paid.
- Working a day shift pattern to cover the opening hours of the store(s) to include weekend and bank holiday working. Stores are open 7 days a week, including bank holidays, so there will be regular weekend working.
- Usually forty hours per week but whatever hours are required to ensure the smooth running of the Store.
- Starting salary £24,520pa.
- 30 days holiday, which includes Bank Holidays.
- Great bonus scheme.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Private medical insurance after qualifying period, and subject to eligibility.
- Staff discount on storage and retail products.
- Perkbox – employee ‘free perks’ scheme, which includes discounts on many high street retailers, cinema tickets, and much more.
- Training and development programme. The majority of our training programme will be provided remotely via video conference.
- Additional benefits after qualifying period, including: a day off and gift for your birthday, Christmas hamper, length of service award and a generous maternity and paternity package.
Please note that this job description is a summary of typical functions of the job, and not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might be part of the job.