If you’re a reality TV fan, you will have noticed the popularity of storage auctions shows. While we don’t have our own reality TV programme here at Space Station, we do have the occasional storage auction! Completely different in style to the ones shown on TV, but they still generate a lot of interest.
What are storage auctions?
Sometimes storage units just get abandoned – maybe people leave the country unexpectedly, or forget about their unit or stop paying the bills – and we have to sell the contents to the highest bidder. It’s that simple.
So you could just sell my goods?
No, not at all! Our rules around storage auctions are incredibly strict so don’t worry – we don’t undertake them lightly, and we certainly don’t open up your unit and start selling your possessions the day you miss a payment. Storage auctions are a last resort, and the full payment process we go through with our customers before we get to one takes at least 60 days.
How do they work?
If a customer hasn’t paid or responded to our phone calls and letters for 60 days, we cut off the lock on the unit and take a photo of the contents from the outside. Just a simple shot from the doorway – not a detailed look at everything in the unit. We then send the photo to our registered bidders – we have around 1,000 on our list – and take closed bids for the whole unit. You can’t bid on individual items, just the entire contents of the unit.
The auction goes to the highest bidder, obviously, who can then do as they please with what they’ve bought. However, they will be required to return any personal items – such as photos, legal documents, tax records, identification and so on – to us so we can pass them on to the unit’s former owner.
Can I get involved?
Absolutely! If you would like to join our list of prospective bidders please send your contact details email@example.com. Alternatively, if you have any concerns about your possessions being sold at auction then please get in touch with us and we will be glad to discuss it in more detail – we’re very sensitive to people’s concerns, and would like to assure you that it’s only in very exceptional circumstances that we actually reach the auction stage.
Storage auctions terms and conditions
By emailing your bid, you have accepted the photographs and unit size as evidence to support your bid amount and the bid is accepted on the basis that you have not been able to check, handle or categorise the goods (a blind bid).
By emailing your bid, you are confirming you have read and understood the below terms and conditions and your bid is submitted on this understanding.
1. The successful bidder will be required to pay the full winning bid amount within 7 days of the closing date and provide a receipt for the goods.
2. Payment must be made by cash, credit or debit card (American Express not accepted).
3. The successful bidder must completely clear the unit within 7 days of confirmation that they have made the winning bid. Confirmation will be sent by email to the email address given above.
4. The successful bidder agrees to return all documents, paperwork, photographs etc. of a confidential, legal or personal nature which we and they might have a duty of care for under the Data Protection Act.
5. Units not completely cleared by the agreed date will become due for storage charges. The successful bidder agrees and accepts that Space Station Self-Storage will charge storage fees at a daily rate of £20.00 (plus VAT at the standard rate) until such time as the goods are removed, or a self-storage rental contract has been signed by the successful bidder.