Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions of the self storage licence agreement
In these terms and conditions, the following words have the following meanings:
Agreement: The Self Storage Licence Agreement incorporating these Conditions;
SO (Store Owner)
The Company (We, Us, Our): We, Us, Our, A Space Station Ltd (Space Station) and any associated companies trading as Space Station Self Storage
The Customer (You, Your): the person, persons or corporate body that enters into the Agreement with The Company;
The Store: the premises at which the Goods are stored;
The Room: Your private storage space within the premises of the Company at the Store;
The Goods: anything You store in the Room at any time during the period of the Agreement;
The Alternative Contact Person (ACP): the person or persons you authorise us to contact if We are not able to contact You
Conditions: these Self Storage Terms and Conditions.
1. So long as all fees are paid up to date, You: (a) are licensed to store Goods in the Unit allocated to You by SO from time to time and only in that Unit; (b) are deemed to have knowledge of the Goods in the Unit; and (c) warrant that You are the owner of the Goods in the Unit and/or entitled at law to deal with them in accordance with all aspects of this Agreement as agent for the owner.
2. SO: (a) does not have and will not be deemed to have knowledge of the Goods; (b) is not a bailee, custodian or warehouseman of the Goods and You acknowledge that SO does not take possession of the Goods; and (c) does not grant any lease or tenancy of the Unit.
3. This Agreement will come into existence between SO and You when SO notifies You it has accepted the order by signing the cover sheet. The storage period will begin on the date agreed with You during the order process and set out on the cover sheet.
4. You must pay the Deposit on signing this Agreement. The Deposit (or the balance of it after any appropriate deductions for unpaid Fees, repairs, cleaning or other charges to put right any breach of this Agreement by You) will be refunded by electronic transfer within 21 days of termination of this Agreement.
5. You are responsible to pay: (a) the Storage Fee (being the amount set out in the cover sheet or as most recently notified to You by SO). SO will take the first payment on acceptance of Your order and will take subsequent payments in advance on the invoice date for each storage period or other date agreed with You (Due Date). It is Your responsibility to see that payment is made directly to SO on time and in full throughout the storage period. You must pay by direct debit, in which case the designated bank account will be charged automatically on each Due Date. SO will invoice electronically for fees . Any Storage Fees paid by direct transfer will not be credited to Your account unless You identify the payment clearly and as directed by SO and SO shall have no liability to and shall be indemnified by You if SO takes steps to enforce the Agreement (including the sale of Goods) due to Your failure to identify a payment. SO will not accept that payment has been made until it has received cleared funds; (b) a Late Payment Fee each time a payment is late or cancelled; (c) any costs incurred by the SO in collecting late or unpaid Storage Fees, or in enforcing this Agreement in any way, including but not limited to postal, telephone, unit inventory, debt collection, personnel and/or default action costs and associated legal and professional fees; (d) any government taxes or charges (including any value added tax or insurance premium tax) levied on any supplies made under this Agreement; and (e) charges for repairs or cleaning, to be invoiced at SO’s discretion as per Condition 20;. Where You have more than one agreement with SO, all will form one account and SO may in its sole discretion apply any payment made by You or on Your behalf on this Agreement against the oldest amount due from You to SO on any agreement in the account. If You make a part payment of any Storage Fees due to SO and SO retains Your part payment, this will not affect SO’s ability to take any action against You or to exercise any rights SO has under this Agreement in respect of the Storage Fees which remain outstanding from You. The time period from which SO may take such action will still start from the Due Date when the original Storage Fees were due and the Due Date will not be extended as a result of Your part payment.
Default – The right to sell or dispose of goods:
6. SO takes the issue of prompt payment seriously and has a right of lien, which is a right to seize and sell or otherwise dispose of some or all of the Goods as security for Your obligation to make payments under this Agreement. If any sum owing to SO and other fees related to it are not paid when due (Debt), You authorise SO without further notice to: (a) refuse You and Your Agents access to the Goods, the Unit and the Facility and overlock the Unit until the Debt has been paid in full; (b) enter the Unit and inspect and/or remove the Goods to another unit or site and to charge You for all reasonable costs of doing so on any number of occasions; and (c) apply the Deposit against the Debt and, if insufficient to clear it in full, hold onto and/or ultimately sell or dispose of some or all of the Goods in accordance with Conditions 8 to 10. You acknowledge that (a) SO shall be entitled to continue to charge for storage from the date the Debt becomes due until payment is made in full or the Goods are sold or disposed of; (b) SO will sell the Goods as if SO was the owner and will pass all rights of ownership in the Goods to the buyer; and (c) if You do not pay fees on the Due Date, the value of any discounts and special offers (including periods of free storage) which You have received will be payable by You in full.
7. On expiry or termination of this Agreement, if You fail to remove all Goods from the Unit, SO is authorised to treat the Goods as abandoned and may sell or dispose of all Goods by any means in accordance with Conditions 8 to 10. You are liable for Storage Fees for the period from abandonment to the sale or disposal of the Goods together with any costs of disposal (Debt).
8. Before SO sells or disposes of the Goods, it will give You notice in writing directing You to pay (if You are in default) or collect the Goods (if they are treated as abandoned). This notice will be sent by registered or recorded delivery to the postal address last notified by You to SO in writing and by email and/or social media. If no address within the UK has been provided, SO will use any land or email address or social media details it holds for You and any ACP. If You fail to pay the Debt and/or collect the Goods (as appropriate) SO will access the Unit and begin the process to sell or dispose of the Goods. You consent to and authorise the sale or disposal of all Goods without further notice regardless of their nature, content or value. SO will sell the Goods for the best price reasonably available in the open market, taking into account the costs of sale. SO may also require payment of default action costs, including any costs associated with accessing the Unit and disposal or sale of the Goods, which shall be added to the Debt.
9. Sale proceeds will be applied first against the cost of removal and sale of Goods and second to pay the Debt. If sale proceeds do not discharge all of these costs and the Debt, You must pay SO the balance within 7 days of a written demand from SO. SO may take action to recover the balance and any legal and administration costs incurred in doing so. If sale proceeds exceed the amount due from You, SO will hold the balance for You but no interest will be payable on it.
10. If, in the opinion of SO and entirely at SO’s discretion, the Goods are either not saleable, fail to sell when offered for sale, or are not of sufficient value to warrant the expense of attempting to sell, You authorise SO to treat the Goods as abandoned and SO may dispose of all Goods by any means at Your cost. SO may dispose of the Goods at SO’s discretion in the event that (a) Goods are damaged due to fire, flood or other event that has rendered them, in the opinion of the SO, severely damaged, of no commercial value, or dangerous to persons or property, or (b) Goods may contain personal data belonging to You or others. SO does not need Your prior approval to take this action but will send Notice to You within 7 days of assessing damaged Goods.
11. Any items left unattended in common areas or outside Your Unit at any time shall be treated as abandoned and may at SO’s discretion be moved, sold or disposed of immediately with no liability to SO.
12. You have the right to access the Unit during Access Hours as posted by SO and subject to the terms of this Agreement. SO will try to provide advance warning of changes to Access Hours by notice at the Facility and/or by SMS or email, but reserves the right to change Access Hours temporarily to other reasonable times without giving prior notice.
13. Only You or others authorised or accompanied by You (Your Agents) may access the Unit. You are responsible for and liable to SO and other users of the Facility for Your own actions and those of Your Agents. SO may (but is not obliged to) require proof of identity from You or any other person at any time and, at SO’s sole discretion, may refuse access to any person who is unable to produce satisfactory proof.
14. SO may refuse You access to the Unit and/or the Facility where moneys are owing by You to SO, whether or not a formal demand for payment has been made, or if SO considers the safety or security of any person, unit or goods on or at the Facility has been threatened or may be put at risk.
15. You should not leave a key with or permit access to the Unit to any person other than Your own Agent who is responsible to You and subject to Your control. If You do so, it is at Your own risk.
16. You authorise SO and its agents and contractors to enter the Unit in the following circumstances and to break any lock if reasonably necessary to gain entry: (a) on not less than 7 days’ notice to inspect or carry out repairs or alterations to the Unit or any other part of the Facility; (b) without prior notice (but with notice as soon as practicable after the event) in the event of an emergency (including for repair or alteration) or to prevent injury or damage to persons or property; (c) if SO believes the Unit is being used to store prohibited goods or for a prohibited purpose; (d) if SO is obliged to do so by law, by the Police, Fire Services, Trading Standards, HM Revenue & Customs, other competent authority or by a Court Order; or (e) to relocate the Goods or exercise SO’s lien or power of sale or disposal in accordance with this Agreement.
17. You will be solely responsible for securing the Unit and ensuring it is locked so as to be secure from unauthorised entry at all times when You are not in the Unit. SO will not be responsible for securing any unlocked Unit. You are not permitted to apply a padlock or other device to the Unit in SO’s overlocking position and SO may have any such padlock or device forcefully cut off at Your expense. Where applicable, You will secure the external gates and/or doors of the Facility.
18. You must not store (or allow any other person to store) any of the following in the Unit: (a) food or perishable goods unless securely packed so they are protected from and do not attract vermin; (b) any living creatures; (c) combustible or flammable substances such as gas, paint, petrol, oil, cleaning solvents or compressed gases; (d) firearms, explosives, weapons or ammunition; (e) chemicals, radioactive materials, biological agents, toxic waste, asbestos or other potentially hazardous substances; (f) any item that emits fumes, or odours; (g) any illegal item or substances or goods illegally obtained such as illicit (counterfeit/smuggled) tobacco or alcohol and unlicensed or unsafe goods (such as toys, electrical goods, medicines, aerosols, cosmetics, fireworks); (h) goods which are environmentally harmful or that are a risk to the property of any person; (i) currency, deeds and securities; and (j) items which are unique in nature and/or where the value to You cannot be assessed on a financial basis. You will be liable under Condition 29 for any breach of this Condition 18.
19. You will use the Unit solely for the purpose of storage and shall not (or allow any other person to): (a) use the Unit as offices or living accommodation or as a home, business or mailing address; (b) use or do anything at the Facility or in the Unit which may be a nuisance to SO or any other person (including the escape of any substance or odour from or generation of noise or vibration which may be heard or felt outside the Unit); (c) use or do anything at the Facility or in the Unit which may invalidate or increase premiums under any insurance policies of SO or any other person; (d) paint or make alterations to or attach anything to the internal or external surfaces of the Unit; (e) connect or provide any utilities or services to the Unit unless authorised by SO; (f) cause damage to the Unit or any part of the Facility (which includes by removal, haulage or delivery contractors); or (g) create any obstruction or leave items or refuse in any common space within the Facility.
20. You must maintain the Unit by ensuring it is clean and in good repair. In the event of uncleanliness or damage to the Unit or Facility, SO will be entitled to retain the Deposit, charge a Cleaning Fee, and/or claim full reimbursement from You of the reasonable costs of repairs, replacement, restoration, proper compensation or disposal of refuse.
21. You must (and ensure that Your Agents) use reasonable care on site and have respect for the Facility and other unit users, inform SO of any damage or defect immediately it is discovered and comply with the reasonable directions of SO’s employees, agents and contractors and any other regulations or policies for the use, safety and security of the Facility as SO shall issue periodically.
22. This Agreement does not confer on You any right to exclusive possession of the Unit and SO reserves the right to relocate You to another Unit not smaller than the current Unit: (a) by giving 14 days’ notice during which You can elect to terminate this Agreement under Condition 37; or (b) on shorter notice if an incident occurs that requires the Unit or section where it is located to be closed or sealed off. In these circumstances, SO will pay Your reasonable costs of removal if approved in writing by SO before removal. If You do not arrange removal by the date specified in SO’s notice, then You authorise SO and its agents to enter the Unit and move the Goods as Your agent on Your behalf and at Your risk (except for damage caused wilfully or negligently which is subject to the limitations in Condition 27). Following removal this Agreement will be varied by substitution of the new Unit number but otherwise continues on the same terms at the storage rates in force for the original Unit at the time of the removal.
23. You must ensure the Unit is suitable for the storage of the Goods intended to be stored in it and You are advised to inspect the Unit before storing Goods and periodically during the storage period. SO makes no warranty or representation that any unit is suitable for any particular goods and accepts no liability in this regard. Unit sizes are approximate. If You have exact requirements, You must check with SO before signing this Agreement as, by signing, You agree to the actual size of the Unit and not any represented unit size.
24. SO may refuse storage of any Goods or require You to remove Goods if in SO’s opinion storage of such Goods creates a risk to the safety of any person or property.
25. You must give notice to the SO in writing of the change of any contact details on this Agreement for You or the ACP within 48 hours of any change. You agree SO is entitled to discuss any default by You with the ACP registered on the front of this Agreement.
Risk and responsibility:
26. SO will not be liable for any loss or damages suffered by You as a result of You not being able to access the Facility or the Unit, regardless of the cause.
27. The Goods are stored at Your sole risk and responsibility and You shall be responsible for and bear the risk of any and all theft, damage to, and deterioration of the Goods caused by any reason. SO excludes all liability in respect of (a) loss or damage to Your business, if any, including consequential loss, lost profits or business interruption; (b) loss of or damage to Goods or any claim for return of the Storage Fees except where this results from SO’s negligence or breach of contract, in which case SO’s liability will be limited to the sum of £100 in total. SO does not exclude liability for physical injury to or the death of any person which is a direct result of negligence or wilful default on the part of SO, its agents and/or employees.
28. SO does not insure the Goods and it is a condition of this Agreement that the Goods remain adequately insured at all times for their Replacement Value (as set out on the cover sheet) while they are in storage. You warrant that such cover is in place, will not lapse and that the aggregate value of Goods in the Unit from time to time will not exceed the insured value. SO does not give any advice concerning insurance cover given by any policy and You must make Your own judgment as to adequacy of cover even when arranged by the SO. Inspection of any insurance documents provided by You to demonstrate cover does not mean SO has approved the cover or confirmed it is sufficient.
29. It will be Your responsibility to compensate SO for the full amount of all claims, liabilities, demands, damages, costs and expenses (including any reasonably incurred legal and professional fees) incurred by SO or third parties (Liabilities) resulting from or incidental to (a) the use of the Unit (including but not limited to the ownership or storage of Goods in the Unit, the Goods themselves and/or accessing the Facility) or (b) breach of this Agreement by You or any of Your Agents or (c) enforcement terms of this Agreement.
30. You agree to comply with this Agreement and all laws and regulations relevant to the use of the Unit. This includes laws relating to material which is stored and the manner in which it is stored. You will be responsible for all Liabilities resulting from such a breach.
31. If SO has reason to believe that You are not complying with all relevant laws SO may take any action it considers necessary, including, but not limited to, action outlined in Conditions 16 and 37, contacting, cooperating with and/or submitting Goods to relevant authorities, and/or immediately disposing of or removing Goods at Your expense. You agree that SO may take such action at any time even though SO could have acted earlier.
32. SO shall not be considered to be in breach of this Agreement nor liable for any delay in performing or failure to perform any of its obligations under this Agreement or any resulting loss or damage to Goods if such delay, failure, loss or damage results from events, circumstances or causes beyond SO’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) any Act of God, riot, strike or lock-out, trade dispute or labour disturbance, accident, breakdown of plant or machinery, fire, flood, shortage of labour, materials or transport, electrical power failures, threat of or actual terrorism or environmental or health emergency or hazard or recommended restrictions, or entry into any unit including the Unit or the Facility by, or arrest or seizure or confiscation of Goods by, competent authorities. If this happens, SO will not be responsible for failing to allow access to the Goods, Unit and/or the Facility for so long as the circumstances continue. SO will try to minimise any effects arising from such circumstances.
33. SO collects information about You and any ACP on registration and whilst this Agreement continues, including personal data (Data). SO processes Data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation and all associated laws. Details on how SO uses Data and Your rights in relation to Data are set out in SO’s Privacy Notice which can be viewed on its website at https://www.space-station.co.uk/privacy-policy .You confirm any ACP has consented to You supplying Data to SO on these terms.
34. If You give consent, SO will use Data for feedback purposes, including to provide information on products or services provided by SO in response to requests from You or if SO believes they may be of interest. Your choice with regard to the relevant use of Data is indicated in the cover sheet and can be changed at any time by contacting SO.
Communication and notice:
35. SO can send You notifications regarding day to day matters and minor changes to this Agreement by email and/or by SMS if You have agreed to receive notifications by SMS. These notifications will be effective one hour after sending or immediately if they relate to an urgent problem or emergency. We may also use Your social media accounts.
36. Notices to be given by SO or You for more significant changes to the services and these terms or to enforce rights under this Agreement (such as ending the Agreement, changing prices, significant disruptions or enforcing SO’s right to sell or dispose of Goods) must be in writing and must either be delivered by hand, pre-paid post or email. Notices shall be considered to have been received at the time of delivery by hand, one day after sending by email or 48 hours after posting. Notices from SO to You will be sent to the addresses on the cover sheet or the most recent address in England and/or email address notified by You to SO and/or Your social media accounts. In the event of not being able to contact You at the last notified postal or email address, Notice will be considered as having been given to You if SO serves that Notice on the ACP as identified on the front of this Agreement at the last notified postal or email address of the ACP. Any notice from You must be sent to the SO by hand or by post to the address on the cover sheet or by email to the store. In the event that there is more than one storer named on the Agreement, Notice to or by any single storer is agreed to be sufficient for the purposes of any Notice requirement under this Agreement.
Cancelling or ending the agreement:
37. If You signed up without coming into the Facility, then You have 14 days after SO confirms acceptance of the order to change Your mind (cooling off period). If You cancel during this period a refund will be provided based on the length of storage You have taken prior to cancelling and all Goods being removed from the Unit. SO can use any payment made by You to settle some or all of this. You can cancel by email, post or telephone call to SO referring to Your name, address and date of order.
38. Unless otherwise agreed in writing by both parties, either SO or You may end this Agreement at any time by giving the other party written Notice. The date on which the Agreement will end (the Termination Date) must be at least the number of days indicated on the cover sheet. In the event of illegal or environmentally harmful activities on Your part or a breach of this Agreement (which, if it can be put right, You have failed to put right within 14 days of notice from SO to do so), SO may terminate the Agreement immediately by Notice. SO is entitled to retain from the Deposit, or make a charge for, apportioned Storage Fees if less than the required Notice is given by You. You must remove all Goods in the Unit before the close of business on the Termination Date and leave the Unit in a clean condition and in a good state of repair to the satisfaction of SO. In the event that Goods and/or rubbish are left in the Unit after the Termination Date, Conditions 7 and 20 will apply. You must pay any outstanding Storage Fees and any other fees or expenses owed to SO up to the Termination Date, or Conditions 6 to 10 may apply. Any calculation of the outstanding fees will be by SO. If SO enters the Unit for any reason and there are no Goods stored in it, SO may terminate the Agreement without giving advance Notice but will send Notice to You within 7 days.
39. You agree to examine the Goods carefully on removal from the Unit and must notify SO of any loss or damage to the Goods as soon as is reasonably possible.
40. Termination or expiry of this Agreement shall not affect any rights, remedies, obligations or liabilities of SO or You that came into effect during the life of the Agreement. This includes the right to claim damage for breach of the Agreement, liability for outstanding monies, property damage, personal injury, environmental damage and legal responsibility under this Agreement.
Other important terms:
41. SO may vary the Storage Fee or other terms of this Agreement and add new terms and conditions as long as such changes are notified to You in writing. The modified terms will take effect on the first Due Date occurring not less than 28 days after the date of SO’s notice. You may end this Agreement without charge before the change takes effect by giving notice in accordance with Condition 36. Otherwise, Your continued use of the Unit will be considered as Your acceptance of and agreement to the amended terms.
42. You acknowledge and agree that :(a) the terms of this document constitute the whole agreement with SO and, in entering this Agreement, You do not rely on any statement, promise, representation, assurance or warranty which is not set out in this Agreement; (b) any descriptions or illustrations on our website are published for the sole purpose of giving an approximate idea of the services described in them but they will not form part of this Agreement or have any contractual force; (c) the terms of this Agreement apply to the exclusion of any other terms that You seeks to impose or incorporate, or which are implied by law, trade custom, practice or course of dealing; (d) You have raised all queries relevant to Your decision to enter this Agreement with SO and SO has, prior to You entering into this Agreement, answered all such queries to Your satisfaction; (e) any special terms agreed between You and SO, been recorded in writing and incorporated into the terms of this Agreement; (f) if SO decides not to exercise or enforce any right that it has against You at a particular time, then this does not prevent SO from deciding to exercise or enforce that right at a later date unless SO tells You in writing that SO has waived or given up its ability to do so; (g) it is not intended that anyone other than You and SO will have any rights under this Agreement and accordingly the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 shall not apply to it; (h) if any provision or part-provision of this Agreement is or becomes invalid, unlawful or unenforceable to any extent, it shall be treated as deleted, but that shall not affect the validity and enforceability of the rest of this Agreement; (i) You may not assign or transfer any of Your rights under this Agreement or part with possession of the Unit or Goods whilst they are in the Facility; (j) SO may transfer its rights under this Agreement to another organisation and will let You know if it plans to do this; and (k) where there are two or more joint Storers, each person takes on the obligations under this Agreement separately.
43. This Agreement shall be governed by English law and any dispute or claim that either party brings will be decided by the Courts of England and Wales. The parties must first try to settle any dispute in connection with this Agreement by mediation. Such mediation is to be conducted by a mediator who is independent of the parties and appointed by agreement of the parties. It is a condition precedent to the right of either party to commence arbitration or litigation other than for emergency interlocutory relief, that it has first offered to submit the dispute to mediation.
44. You accept any requested hire, insurance, or retails items can be applied to Your account without the need for separate authorisation.
Terms and conditions of Free Removal into storage
This offer is subject to availability and prebooking. Free Removal into storage offer is valid only when you rent a minimum of a 15 sq ft storage unit from us for at least two months.
Collection address must be within 10 miles as measured by the AA Route Planner from the following stores: Brentford; Chiswick; Isleworth; Kings Heath; Slough; Solihull; Uxbridge; and 5 miles from the following stores: Cricklewood, St John’s Wood, Swiss Cottage. If the collection address is outside the agreed area, then the additional distance cost will be charged per mile.
Free removal does not include the congestion charge nor any parking fees. Packing service or dismantling of furniture is not included but can be arranged at an additional cost.
Our standard Trading Terms and Conditions apply. Direct Debit payment is required. We reserve the right to charge you the cost of removal service if you store for less than two months, if payment method is changed or direct debit requests are not honoured. No refunds will be given for storage or insurance payments made should the contract be terminated during the period of the agreed term.
The offer will cease if the terms and conditions of the offer are broken, or we write to advise you that the scheme is no longer in operation, in which case we may offer you alternative schemes.
This offer is available to new customers or existing customers renting additional units (cannot be used in conjunction with other offers or applied retrospectively). Cash value 0.001p
Summary of self storage insurance cover
It is a condition of the Licence Agreement that your property is insured for its full true total value and that cover is maintained throughout the total period of storage with the Store Owner.
Please note that irrespective of whether or not you instruct the Store Owner to arrange insurance for your property their liability for actual physical loss of or damage to your property whilst in store is limited by the terms of their Licence Agreement which form part of their contract with you.
SUBJECT TO YOU GIVING THE STORE OWNER INSTRUCTIONS TO INSURE, they can arrange on your behalf insurance Underwritten by Amica for AXA Versicherung AG and Others to cover physical loss or damage to your property whilst stored with the Store Owner within their “Open Cover” insurance arrangements as summarised below. You may inspect the policy at their oﬃce on request. Please note, the cover provided by Us is optional.
Total sum insured
The full true total maximum value of the property at all times as declared to the Store Owner on the Licence Agreement or elsewhere in writing. The sum insured shall in no circumstances exceed GBP 100,000 for any one customer unless conﬁrmed in writing by the Store Owner. The total sum insured can be increased on payment of an additional charge, subject to the prior agreement of the Store Owner and Insurers.
Actual physical loss of or damage to your property caused by ﬁre, lightning, explosion, earthquake, storm, ﬂood, bursting &/or leaking pipes, ingress of water or other liquid substance, aircraft or articles dropped therefrom, moth, insect or vermin from an external cause, theft accompanied by forcible and violent entry to or exit from the building or Unit, riot, strike, civil commotion, malicious damage, impact by vehicles or railway rolling stock.
This Insurance is effective from the time your insured property is placed in to storage and ceases upon removal from storage – no cover applies during loading and unloading or during transit.
It is a condition of the insurance that the sum insured represents the full true total value of the property stored at all times. If you fail to declare the full replacement value of your property on the Licence Agreement, in the event of a claim you will only be entitled to recover from Insurers the proportion of the loss as the declared value bears to the total replacement value of your property.
Basis of claims settlement
The settlement of any claim shall be by replacement, repair and/or compensation at Insurer’s option. In the event of the total loss or destruction of any item insured under this Insurance, the basis of settlement shall be the cost of replacing the item as new provided that the item is substantially the same as but not better than the original when new.
Household linen and clothing
Where any claim includes loss of or damage to any item(s) of household linen and clothing, Insurers will take into consideration the age, quality, degree of use and consequent market value of any such lost or damaged item(s).
Where any claim includes loss of or damage to documents the basis of settlement shall relate to the reasonable costs of reprinting and/or reasonable costs of reissue and/or reconstitution including, where applicable, fresh research or exploration to obtain essential information.
Consumer right to cancel
Insurers have to give you certain information before you make your decision. If you have not been given this information when you buy your insurance (and you have not told the Company you do not want it) Insurers will allow you a “cooling off” period of at least 14 days from the time you receive the information. If you do not want to continue with the insurance, you may cancel your cover within this period and receive all your money back (as long as you have not made any claims).
You have the right to cancel this insurance without penalty at any time PRIOR TO THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE INSURANCE. Once the insurance has commenced, your right to cancel ceases and you will be charged the full premium for the insurance.
Insurers will not pay the ﬁrst GBP 100 of your claim.
Pairs & sets limitation clause
Where any items of your property are part of a pair or of a set Insurers shall only pay for the actual items which are lost or damaged. No payment will be made by Insurers for any items which are part of a pair or of a set and which are not lost or damaged.
Your duty to provide information
It is your duty to take reasonable care to answer all questions honestly and to the best of your knowledge and commercial customers must make adequate enquiries within your business to identify and verify that information relevant to the insurance of your property is disclosed. If you do not, your insurance policy may be cancelled or treated as if it never existed or your claim may be rejected or not paid in full. It is important that all statements you make on all documents are full and accurate. Failure to accurately provide requested information could invalidate your insurance cover and mean that part or all of a claim may not be paid.
Full details of any losses and/or damages must be notified to the Store Owner at the time of the discovery of the loss of or damage to your property or at the time of removal of your property from the store whichever is sooner.
Customer service and complaints
Insurers are dedicated to providing a high quality service and want to ensure that this is maintained this at all times. If you feel you have not been oﬀered a ﬁrst class service please contact International Claims Agency Ltd (ICA) who will do their best to resolve the problem. ICA’s contact details are:
In the event that the Complaints Department is unable to resolve your complaint it may in certain circumstances be possible for you to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service at:
calls to this number are free on mobiles and landlines
Financial Services Compensation Scheme
Insurers are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. You may be entitled to compensation from the Scheme if we cannot meet our obligations to you under this contract. If you were entitled to compensation under the Scheme, the level and extent of the compensation would depend on the nature of this contract. Further Information about the Scheme is available from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (10th Floor, Beaufort House, 15 St Botolph Street, London EC3A 7QU) and on their website: www.fscs.org.uk
No cover is provided for the following:
1. Money, Coins, Bullion, Deeds, Bonds, Securities and the like.
2. Livestock, Plants, Explosives and Flammables
3. Jewellery, Watches, Precious Stones, Stamps of all kinds exceeding GBP 500 combined total.
4. Furs, ﬁne arts, perfumery, mobile phones, tobacco, cigars, cigarettes, beers, wines, spirits & the like exceeding GBP 10,000 combined total.
5. Electronic items exceeding GBP 10,000 in total. Electronic items are deﬁned as all items of consumer and commercial electrical appliances and instruments including but not limited to radios, televisions, computers, computer software, hard drives, chips, microchips, printed circuit boards and their components, modems, monitors, cameras, facsimile machines, photocopiers, VCRs, hi-ﬁ, stereos, CD players and the like. (Heavy electrical items such as switchgear, turbines and generators and the like shall be deemed not to be electronics)
6. Depreciation following repair or restoration of a damaged item
7. Any property which you are not permitted to store under the terms of the Licence Agreement
8. Loss of data records other than cost of blank data carrying materials.
9. Any consequence of War, Invasion, Act of Foreign Enemy Hostilities (whether War be declared or not), Civil War, Rebellion, Revolution, Insurrection or Military or Usurped Power or conﬁscation or nationalisation or requisition or destruction of or damage to property by or under the order of any government or public or local authority.
10. Ensuing or indirect losses resulting from or as a consequence of claims made for loss or damage to your property.
11. Loss or damage or liability or expense directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to, by, or arising from:-
a. Ionising radiations from or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste or from the combustion of nuclear fuel.
b. The radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous or contaminating properties of any nuclear installation, reactor or nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof.
c. Any weapon of war employing atomic or nuclear ﬁssion and/or fusion or other like reaction or radioactive force or matter.
d. The radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous or contaminating properties of any radioactive matter. The exclusion in this sub-clause does not extend to radioactive isotopes, other than nuclear fuel, when such isotopes are being prepared, carried, stored, or used for commercial, agricultural, medical, scientiﬁc or other similar peaceful purposes.
12. Loss or damage or expense directly, or indirectly, caused by or contributed to, by or arising from:-
a. Any chemical, biological, bio-chemical or electromagnetic weapon.
b. The use or operation, as a means for inﬂicting harm, of any computer, computer system, computer software program, computer virus or process or other electronic system.
13. Loss, destruction or damage directly occasioned by pressure waves caused by aircraft and other aerial devices travelling at sonic or supersonic speeds.
14. Loss of or damage to your property caused by or resulting from any act(s) of terrorism or any person(s) acting from a political motive.
Terms and conditions of crate hire
In these terms and conditions, the following words have the following meanings:
Agreement: The Crate Hire Agreement incorporating these Conditions;
The Company: We, Us, Our, A Space Station Ltd (Space Station. and any associated companies trading as Space Station Self Storage
The Crates: the crates offered for hire and all replacements and renewals thereof;
The Hirer: the person, persons or corporate body who hires The Crates from The Company;
Hire, Hire of Crates: the hiring of Crates from the Company by a Hirer for such period of time as may be agreed between the Hirer and the Company;
The Store: the premises from which The Crates are taken on Hire;
Conditions: these Crate Hire Terms and Conditions.
1. The Hire of Crates by the Hirer from the Company shall be subject to the Conditions hereinafter set out, each of which shall be deemed to be incorporated in and to be a condition of any Agreement between the Company and the Hirer.
2. The Company shall supply the Crates in a fully serviceable condition. It is responsibility of The Hirer to check the Crates before removing from The Store. In the absence of any such notification the Hirer will be deemed to be satisfied with the condition of the Crates, and have accepted the Crates as suitable for the purposes required.
3. All charges applicable to the hire contract must be paid in advance of rental periods. Cash and cheque payments will not be accepted. Credit or Debit Card accepted for initial charges. Direct debit mandate required for all future charges on the contract whether Hire of Crates or other such charges as become payable.
a. The Hirer agrees not to cancel the direct debit whilst charges remain outstanding without first contacting the Company and providing an alternative method of payment from which to collect further charges which the Hirer is liable or may become liable to pay.
4. The Hirer may, at a time and date agreed either
4.1. collect the Crates from the Store; or
4.2. request the Company to deliver the Crates. The Customer shall be liable for delivery charges in accordance with the Company’s normal rates for delivery then in force and subject to applicable VAT.
5. Crates shall be returned to the Company and to The Store at the expiry of the period of Hire or any extended period of Hire entered into by the Hirer. If the return date has not been agreed then the Company must have not less than 7 days’ prior notice of the return either by
5.1. The Customer delivering the Crates back to the Store; or
5.2. The Customer requesting the Company to collect the Crates and the Customer shall be liable for collection charges in accordance with the Company’s normal rates for collection then in force and subject to applicable VAT.
6. Crates will be taken off Hire at the expiry of period of Hire or any extended period of Hire in which the Crates are returned to the Company and no refund of hire will be made unless an extended hire period has not yet commenced.
7. The Hirer shall be responsible for maintaining all Crates in good condition. If the Crates or any of them are damaged whilst in the Hirer’s possession the Hirer must immediately notify the Company. If such damage was not the result of fair wear and tear, then the cost of such repairs or replacement will be paid upon demand to the Company by the Hirer.
8. In the event of the Crates or any of them being lost, stolen, seized or confiscated whilst in the possession of the Hirer or not being returned within 7 days of any return date agreed with or stipulated by the Company or not returned immediately if any Agreement is terminated pursuant to Condition 13 hereof, the Company shall be entitled at any time to invoice the Hirer for and the Hirer shall be liable to pay the replacement value of such Crates in accordance with the Company’s then current replacement price. Payment of such price shall not affect any rights of the Company or liabilities of the Hirer subsisting at the date of invoice. The Hirer shall continue to pay all Hire charges pending the return of the Crates.
9. Title to the Crates remains at all times with the Company and any and all Crates damaged by the Hirer must be returned to the Company whether or not the Hirer has paid the cost of replacing the damaged Crates. Provided always that the Hirer fully complies with its obligations under these Conditions, the Hirer shall be entitled to enjoy the use and possession of the Crates without interruption by the Company. The cost for replacing lost or damaged Crates is displayed in store and is available on request. All charges are subject to VAT which shall be payable at the rate in force from time to time.
10. The Hirer shall have no right of property in or title to the Crates except the right to use and possess the Crates, subject to the terms of the Agreement.
11. The Hirer shall be liable for payment of the Hire charges from the date of collection of the Crates by the Hirer or delivery of the Crates to the Hirer and the Hirer shall be responsible for maintaining them in good condition (save for fair wear and tear. until they are returned to the Company. The minimum hire period shall be 4 weeks.
12. Hire charges shall be subject to change by the Company upon not less than 30 days prior written notice being given to the Hirer.
13. All charges are net of VAT which shall be payable at the rate in force from time to time. All charges shall become due and payable in advance.
13.1. The Company shall have the right to charge an administration fee on any amounts not paid on the due date. Current charges will be displayed in store and are available on request.
13.2. The Company shall have the right to charge an administration fee on any amounts returned as unpaid by your Bank. Current charges will be displayed in store and are available on request.
14. The Agreement may be terminated immediately by the Company in any of the following circumstances:
14.1. The Hirer fails to pay any charges by due date; or
14.2. The Hirer fails to observe or perform any of the terms of the Agreement; or
14.3. If the Hirer (being an individual. shall be adjudged bankrupt, enters into a voluntary arrangement or effects a compromise with any one or more of his creditors; or
14.4. The Hirer (being a body corporate.:
14.4.1. shall pass a resolution either for entry into administration or for voluntary winding-up or shall have an administration or winding up order made against it; or
14.4.2. suffer the appointment of a receiver of its undertakings or assets or any part thereof; or
14.4.3. shall be deemed by virtue of Section 123 of the Insolvency Act 1986 to be unable to pay its debts; or
14.5. If any execution shall be levied or threatened upon any of the Hirer’s property then in each or every such case the Agreement between the Company and the Hirer in respect of the Hire of the Crates may be terminated at any time by the Company with immediate effect upon written notice from the Company to the Hirer.
14.5.1. In the event that any Agreement is terminated under this Condition, the Hirer shall thereafter no longer be in possession of the Crates with the Company’s consent and the Company may, without notice, retake possession of all the Crates and for that purpose enter upon any premises belonging to or in occupation or control of the Hirer for such purpose and
14.5.2. The Hirer shall pay to the Company on demand all expenses costs and charges whatsoever incurred by or on behalf of the Company in ascertaining the whereabouts of the Hirer or the Crates and in retaking possession of the same.
14.5.3. The Hirer will also pay to the Company all costs, charges and expenses incurred by reason of any breach thereof by the Hirer.
14.5.4. Liability for these additional costs by the Hirer is without prejudice to any other rights and remedies the Company may have at law.
15. No condition or warranty whatsoever of any kind is given or made by or on behalf of the Company in relation to the quality of the Crates or their fitness for any particular purpose and all conditions or warranties, whether statutory or otherwise, whether express or implied, whether collateral or antecedent thereto or otherwise and whether in relation to the description, state, quality or condition of the Crates on delivery or at any other time thereafter are hereby expressly excluded.
16. The Company does not accept liability for any failure to provide the Crates for reasons which are due to circumstances beyond its control.
17. The Hirer shall, under no circumstances, sub-hire, lend or otherwise part with possession of the Crates other than with the prior written agreement of the Company.
18. No forbearance or indulgence shown or granted by the Company to the Hirer shall constitute a waiver of any of the Conditions to be performed by the Hirer nor shall in any way affect, diminish, restrict or prejudice the rights and powers of the Company.
19. Where two or more Hirers are party to one agreement with the Company their liabilities under these Conditions shall also be joint and several.
20. Any notices required to be given hereunder shall be sufficiently given if served personally or sent by prepaid first class post or left at the existing or last-known address of the party to be served or emailed if such permission has been granted in the contract agreement or, in the case of a limited company, to or at its registered office and if sent by post such notice shall be deemed to be received 48 hours after posting.
21. If any condition, term or provision herein shall be held to be illegal or unenforceable the same shall be deemed to be excluded but the validity of the remaining conditions shall not be so affected.
22. The Hirer will inform The Company in writing of any changes to billing details, contact details or any other details stated on this Agreement.
23. These terms and conditions supersede and override any and all contractual terms and conditions of the other contracting party howsoever and whenever communicated.
24. Before taking any court proceedings for anything arising out of this Agreement (apart from emergency court proceedings., the complaining party shall inform the other person in writing of the dispute in as much detail as possible and The Hirer and The Company agree to try informal conciliation within twenty business days of the notice of the dispute. If the dispute cannot be resolved, The Hirer and The Company agree to use the Centre for Alternative Dispute Solution to try to resolve the dispute amicably by using an Alternative Dispute Resolution Procedure before taking any other step. If the dispute is not resolved to mutual satisfaction within 90 days after notice of the dispute has been given, The Hirer or The Company may submit the dispute to the Court. This Condition does not affect the right of either The Hirer or The Company to terminate this Agreement
25. This Agreement shall be governed by English law and The Hirer and The Company submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
Terms and conditions of Student offer
Offer applies to students reserving a storage locker or a unit and is subject to availability. The final cost is dependent on the size of the unit taken. Collection address must be within agreed mileage of a Space Station store, please ask in store. Collection is offered on Door-to-Store basis only, and will not include moving the goods into your storage unit. Collection service does not include the congestion charge nor any parking fees. Goods must be suitably packaged and available for collection from a ground level access point. Our driver is not insured to enter your premises. Insurance applies to our Space Station insurance policy only.
Additional cover may be purchased to cover higher values. Our standard brass padlock will be made available for your use and must be returned at the end of the rental period. Our standard Trading Terms and Conditions apply and you commit to a minimum storage period of three months, and payment by Direct Debit.
Discount will be cancelled if payment method is changed or direct debit requests are not honoured. No refunds will be given for storage or insurance payments made should the contract be terminated during the period of the agreed term. The deposit will be refunded. The discount scheme will automatically expire on the expiry date or if the terms and conditions of the offer are broken, or we write to advise you that the scheme is no longer in operation, in which case we may offer you alternative schemes.
This offer only applies to new customers or existing customers renting additional units. Your student ID must be produced at time of booking. Cash value 0.001p
Terms and conditions of Loyalty discounts offer
Gold loyalty discount offer
5% saving on the room rate when prepaying for 6 months. Our standard Trading Terms and Conditions apply and you commit to a minimum storage period of 6 months. Full payment is required in advance for the agreed term by debit or credit card. A direct debit mandate is to be set up at the start of the agreement. At the end of the agreed term, future invoices will be raised monthly and payment collected by direct debit. 5% saving will be applied to the room rate. Should the agreement be terminated before the end of the agreed term, no refunds will be given for any payments made. Should this offer expire, we will write to advise you that the offer is no longer in operation, in which case we may offer you an alternative offer. We will guarantee your rental rate for the full year. Cash value 0.001p
Platinum loyalty discount offer
10% saving on the room rate when prepaying for 12 months. Our standard Trading Terms and Conditions apply and you commit to a minimum storage period of 12 months. Full payment is required in advance for the agreed term by debit or credit card. A direct debit mandate is to be set up at the start of the agreement. At the end of the agreed term, future invoices will be raised monthly and payment collected by direct debit. 10% saving will be applied to the room rate. Should the agreement be terminated before the end of the agreed term, no refunds will be given for any payments made. Should this offer expire, we will write to advise you that the offer is no longer in operation, in which case we may offer you an alternative offer. We will guarantee your rental rate for the full year. Cash value 0.001p
Terms and conditions of Refer a Friend offer
You are on our database. All units require a rental period of a minimum of four weeks. This offer does not apply to rental of lockers, units that are smaller than 25 sq feet, Student discounts, or to referrals made for customers residing at the same address or customers storing referrer’s goods.
Terms and conditions of Storage auctions
By emailing your bid, you have accepted the photographs and unit size as evidence to support your bid amount and the bid is accepted on the basis that you have not been able to check, handle or categorise the goods (a blind bid).
By emailing your bid, you are confirming you have read and understood the below terms and conditions and your bid is submitted on this understanding.
1. The successful bidder will be required to pay the full winning bid amount within 7 days of the closing date and provide a receipt for the goods.
2. Payment must be made by cash, credit or debit card (American Express not accepted).
3. The successful bidder must completely clear the unit within 7 days of confirmation that they have made the winning bid. Confirmation will be sent by email to the email address given above.
4. The successful bidder agrees to return all documents, paperwork, photographs etc. of a confidential, legal or personal nature which we and they might have a duty of care for under the Data Protection Act.
5. Units not completely cleared by the agreed date will become due for storage charges. The successful bidder agrees and accepts that Space Station Self Storage will charge storage fees at a daily rate of £20.00 (plus VAT at the standard rate) until such time as the goods are removed, or a self-storage rental contract has been signed by the successful bidder.
Space Station complaints procedure
Please discuss any complaint with the Store Manager at the appropriate location, who will endeavour to resolve the matter promptly.
If the matter cannot be resolved, wherever possible, all complaints should be made in writing and addressed to the Store Manager at the appropriate location. Once received, the Store Manager will send a written acknowledgement of the complaint within 5 working days*, explaining who is handling the complaint and the details of the procedure to be carried out.
The complaint will be fully investigated and you will receive a detailed response stating the Company’s position within 10 working days* of the acknowledgement letter.
If you are dissatisfied with the outcome, please write to the Regional Manager at: 149 St Paul’s Avenue, Slough, SL2 5EN, stating why you believe the decision is unfair. On receipt of the complaint, the Regional Manager will send a letter (or email) of acknowledgement within 5 business working days*. The grounds for the decision will be fully investigated and you will receive a detailed response stating the Company’s position within 10 working days* of the acknowledgement letter.
If you remain unhappy with the outcome, please write to the CEO at our Slough address, stating why you believe the grounds for the decision were unfair. On receipt of the complaint, the CEO will send a letter (or email) of acknowledgement within 5* working days. The grounds for the decision will be reinvestigated and you will receive a detailed response stating the Company’s decision within 10 working days* of the acknowledgement letter. The CEO’s decision will be final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
If at any point you fail to respond to any decision within eight weeks from the last correspondence, Space Station will assume the matter has been dealt with to your complete satisfaction and the matter will be closed.
Please note that our complaints process is discretionary and not based on statute. This means we may not always proceed with a complaint if we believe there is sufficient justification not to do so. This policy does not affect your statutory rights.
*Whenever reasonably practicable